Friday, January 7, 2011

New Symptoms pt. 2

Last night I experienced a new symptom.  I was sitting in bed and I noticed this tingling sensation in my forearms and hands.  It went on for about 20 minutes.  It felt like they were asleep but really it's what happens before you go numb.  My feet started out the same way in the beginning.  Since this sensation is in my arms, that means that I must have new lesions in my spinal cord near the nerves that affect my arms.  I don't know. Since I'm on Tysabri, I'm supposed to contact my neurologist anytime I experience new or worsening symptoms.  I cannot take any other disease modifying drug or steroids for 6 months after stopping Tysabri.  Supposedly that's how long it stays in your system.

 I was explaining to a friend that MS affects both your brain and spinal cord and that's why I experience such a wide range of symptoms.  She didn't realize this and she asked me if I worry about my future.  Yeah, maybe sometimes I find myself thinking ahead but I don't worry about the future because tomorrow isn't promised to me or anyone else.  I'm finding out that a lot of people, including my friends don't know much about MS at all.  They seem to get it confused with Muscular Dystrophy, another debilitating disease except it can be fatal.  MS is rarely fatal. 

I see that my thoughts of becoming an MS activist need to be put into action.  I would like to speak to others about MS.  I actually enjoy answering people's questions about my condition.  As long as people want to know, then I don't mind telling them.  I guess I better get started on finding out what my next step should be because I am very serious about this.  I do as much research as I can and that's another thing.  People don't feel like they have the time to research their situations but I strongly encourage it.  Whether you have MS or any other condition, take the time to educate yourself as much as you possibly can.

No comments:

Post a Comment