Saturday, February 25, 2012

Flu Bug?

There is a nasty flu like cold virus going around.  One person (my cousin) ended up with pneumonia.  This virus has been really difficult to shake.  Since I am on Tysabri, I have to avoid sick people.  We all know how difficult that can be so I try to be proactive.  I like to use natural ingredients for different ailments as much as possible for me and my family.  I recently made a home made cough syrup.  It's super easy. 

There are only 5 ingredients: 
garlic
red onion
ginger
lemon
dehydrated cane juice (raw sugar)

You will also need a jar with a lid.

Just slice the garlic, onions and ginger.  Layer ingredients in the jar with the raw sugar, squeeze 1/2 the lemon into jar and place the lid on.  Within 1 to 4 hours, a concetrated syrup will begin to form.  I drained the syrup and bottled it.  It keeps in the fridge for 6 months to a year.  It tastes ok, very sweet and you may want to rinse with mouth wash to eliminate that garlic and onion after taste. 

My husband has come down with a cold but it's not flu like at this time.  I gave him  2 teaspoons of my home made syrup a few nights ago.  This is some very concentrated syrup.  I will continue to give him 1 teaspoon daily for the next 3 days.  I also gave a bottle to my Mom who is also sick.  I believe it's safe for kids too.  I gave 1 teaspoon to 2 of my daughters because they were complaining of sore throats a few months ago.  I also gave them some zinc.  It knocked whatever it was right out.  They did not end up with any long term infections.

No comments:

Post a Comment